Media (Video/Photo/Podcast) Intern (Paid)
The Growing Democracy Project is a collaborative effort to build civic capacity by bringing together diverse constituencies – community members, civic leaders, grassroots organizations, and universities. By sharing experiences and expertise, and learning from one another, we empower communities and facilitate social change. We offer a variety a programs, including community workshops and podcasts. Our mission is to empower communities and facilitate social change by creating spaces to amplify multiple forms of expertise and knowledge, especially the voices of systemically marginalized people, and to demystify politics, policy, and governance.
Video/Podcast Intern will:
- Edit Video, including editing of video-recorded podcasts to be used for promotional purposes
- Provide podcast production assistance, which may include podcast tracking and transcription (and possibly some sound editing)
- Assist with media-based, community-engaged research project (e.g. photovoice, oral history)
- May also, co-develop a set of online materials for the Growing Democracy website, including concept pages, blogs, or other materials
- May also, assist with marketing and communications, including assistance with our monthly newsletter
- Attend events and planning meetings (Friday team meetings)
Required (and preferred) skills and training in:
- Video and photo editing (required)
- Podcast production, including sound editing (preferred)
- Visual/ Media-based Methods (preferred)
- Commitment to Growing Democracy’s core values of social justice, democracy, and nonpartisanship
The intern will work closely with an interdisciplinary group of professors, instructors, and researchers. They will be supervised by Dr. Casey Boyd-Swan, Associate Professor of Economics and Co-Founder of Growing Democracy Project. The pay rate is $8-10/hour (50- 150 hours; or approx. 1-3 credit hours depending on experience/ interest).
Interested applicants should send a cover letter/ statement of interest and resume to cboydswa [at] kent [dot] edu AND growingdemocracyOH [at] gmail [dot]com by January 5, 2022. Please include, “MEDIA INTERN” in the subject line.
Dr. Boyd-Swan can be reached for further inquiries.
More information on the Growing Democracy Project: www.growingdemocracyOH.org