Race & Democracy Intern (Paid)
The Growing Democracy Project has a special program on Race and Democracy that focuses on anti-Black and anti-Asian racism and racialized politics in Northeast Ohio. This project includes a 10-episode podcast series examining the intersections of race and democracy in Northeast Ohio, two community workshops/events on the subject of race and democracy, as well as Blogs and concept pages for our website. This program seeks to build on The GDP’s strong programming and deep commitment to social justice and take an explicitly race-conscious look at race and democracy.
This program is done in collaboration with the School of Peace and Conflict Studies and the Center for Pan African Culture and is funded by Mark Lewine and the John Gray Paynther Fund.
The Race and Democracy Intern will:
- Provide logistical support for the organization of a film festival and community discussion, which will take place during spring semester
- Co-develop a set of online materials focused on race and democracy, including concept pages, blogs, or other materials
- Offer research assistance for a community-engaged research project
- Attend events and planning meetings (RDNO monthly meetings and Friday team meetings)
- May also assist with marketing and communications, including assistance with our monthly newsletter
Required (and preferred) skills and training in:
- Writing & editing (for nonacademic audiences)
- Event planning
- Research methods & ethics (preferred)
- Commitment to Growing Democracy’s core values of social justice, democracy, and nonpartisanship
The intern will work closely with an interdisciplinary group of professors, instructors, and researchers. They will be supervised by Dr. Shemariah Arki, Director of the Center for Pan African Culture. The pay rate is $9-10/hour (135-150 hours, approx. 3 credit hours).
Interested applicants should send a cover letter/ statement of interest and resume to sarki [at] kent [dot] edu AND growingdemocracyOH [at] gmail [dot] com by January 5, 2022. Please include, “RACE & DEMOCRACY INTERN” in the subject line.
Dr. Arki can be reached for further inquiries.
More information on the Growing Democracy Project and our work can be found at:
Race and Democracy in Northeast Ohio (RDNO) – Growing Democracy (growingdemocracyoh.org)