Growing Democracy Research Lab, Research Assistant (Paid)
The Growing Democracy Research (and learning) Lab is dedicated to community engaged research and learning. Lab allows us to connect our programming (events, workshops, online curriculum, and podcasts) with community-engaged research opportunities. Our intention is to create a space for graduate and undergraduate students interested in democracy, civic and political engagement, and social justice to engage in meaningful, applied research opportunities in collaboration with community partners. We are currently looking for a research assistant to work on a project titled, “Cleveland Community Development,” under the guidance of Dr. Ashley Nickels.
Research Assistant will:
- Collect and manage publicly available data
- Write analytic memos; code data
- Transcribe and code interview transcripts
- Attend research team meetings (Research team meetings TBD)
Required (and preferred) skills and training in:
- Academic/ Research Writing (e.g. annotated bibliographies, literature reviews, analytic memos)
- Urban politics and/or community development (preferred)
- CITI Certification (can be completed as a part of the assistantship)
- Qualitative Software (NVivo, Dedoose) (preferred; can train)
- Qualitative Research Methods, including qualitative dataset management, qualitative data analysis and coding, interview transcription (preferred; can train)
- Commitment to Growing Democracy’s core values of social justice, democracy, and nonpartisanship
The intern will work closely with an interdisciplinary group of professors, instructors, and researchers. They will be supervised by Dr. Ashley Nickels, Associate Professor in the School of Pease and Conflict Studies and Co-Founder of Growing Democracy Project. The pay rate is $9-10/hour (150 hours; or approx. 3 credit hours).
Interested applicants should send a cover letter/ statement of interest and resume to anickel5 [at] kent [dot] edu AND growingdemocracyOH [at] gmail [dot] com by January 5, 2022. Please include, “RESEARCH ASSISTANT” in the subject line.
Dr. Nickels can be reached for further inquiries.